The Aztec Secret clay mask is a Bentonite clay mask made from the popular Indian Healing Mask manufactured by Aztec Secret.
This clay mask is popularly used for skin care but has recently become very common for hair too.
The main ingredient in this clay mask is Bentonite clay which has several benefits on hair as we shall see later in this article. This product comes in powder form and requires a liquid to form a mask.
Aztec masks have been in use since the 16th century, originally being mixed with apple cider vinegar.
Disclosure: Please note that this blog is supported by readers like you. This means if you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. We appreciate your support!
Benefits of Aztec Clay Mask on Hair
Bentonite clay is the main ingredient of the Aztec clay mask and for good reasons. It has been historically being used in different traditions to heal a variety of conditions.
Bentonite clay has scientifically been found to have a lot of benefits on hair as described below:
1. Hair Detox
Bentonite clay is known to be a negatively charged material. If toxic substances present in the hair are positively charged, bentonite clay will attract them.
This is explained scientifically in a process known as absorption. The toxins stick to the clay and are washed out with the clay, therefore being removed from the hair.
Bentonite clay has long been used in different countries such as Iran as a cleansing agent for hair. This is attributed to its absorption properties.
Since bentonite clay is a good absorption agent, it absorbs dirt, and buildup in hair acts as a good cleanser.
The cleansing properties also contribute to increased hair growth.
3. Reactivating Curls
Bentonite clay clarifies the hair and reactivate the curl pattern.
4. Has antibacterial properties
Studies show that bentonite clay mixed with water can eliminate a substantial amount of bacteria in one day. This aspect is attributed to bentonite clay negatively reacting to bacteria both physically and chemically. 
For this reason, bentonite clay used as a mask works to eradicate any harmful bacteria in your hair and provides additional protection to your hair.
It is also believed to work well in exfoliating the scalp and in treating dandruff due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use Aztec Clay Mask for Hair
Here is a very simple recipe that you can use to make a DIY Aztec clay mask for your hair.
- 1 cup Aztec Indian Healing Clay Mask
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Warm water
Depending on your volume and the consistency you prefer you can vary these measurements.
You can get both the Aztec Secret Clay Mask and Apple Cider Vinegar on Amazon in the these links.
How to Prepare and Use on Hair
- Mix both the Clay and Apple Cider vinegar in a plastic/wooden bowl, add some warm water until you get the consistency you want. (Do not use a metallic bowl)
- Apply the mixture generously to the hair. Ensure all the hair strands are coated with the mask from roots to tips.
- leave the mask on for approximately 20 minutes. Cover with a plastic cap trap heat which acts as a catalyst.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water to help break down the mask. Make sure that no clay mask particles remain stuck in the hair.
- Aztec clay mask has cleansing properties hence shampoo is not necessary.
- Follow this with a conditioner. Since the mask is cleansing, applying moisturizer is important to return moisture to the hair.
You can use left overs to mask your face and neck 🙂
Watch this video by NaturalReign to see how this is practically done
Benefits of adding Apple Cider Vinegar to the Aztec Indian Clay mask
Apple cider vinegar has been known to enhance the health, strength, and shine of hair. Here are the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) on hair.
1. Balances the pH levels
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) contains acetic acid which makes it acidic. This component is important to hair since it lowers the high pH in hair to a neutral level thus improves the shine and health of hair.
Hair with high pH is often dull and frizzy.
2. Has antibacterial properties
Due to its disinfectant properties, ACV works to remove bacteria present in hair that may cause scalp and hair conditions thus protecting the hair.
3. Nutritional benefits
ACV is believed to contain helpful vitamins such as vitamin B and C. Vitamin B has been found to reduce hair loss in individuals as well.
It also protects hair and moisturizes hair leading to healthy hair. Vitamin C on the other hand contains collagen which works to minimize hair loss, enhances healthy hair, and overall increases hair growth.
Tips and Caution on using the Aztec clay mask for hair
- Water can also be used in place of apple cider vinegar when creating the clay mask. However, apple cider vinegar mixed with Aztec clay is more effective
- The measurements in this recipe are recommended for the majority of users. However, if your hair is significantly longer you may want to double or triple the measurements in the same proportion to adjust it for your hair.
- Over using the Aztec Secret Clay Mask may have a drying effect on your hair. it is important to experiment and monitor your hair to detect any signs of dryness.
- Always use a plastic or wooden bowl and spoon when mixing ingredients to prevent any chemical reactions.
- Hair Structure 101: Why Should you care?
- Best Homemade deep conditioning hair mask