I don’t think I would be entirely wrong to say that finding the right shampoo for type 4C hair is probably one of the ‘trickiest’ part of the 4C hair care journey.
That is why you are here, right? You want to know exactly which shampoos to use on your hair. This article will give you a summary (in a list form) if you are in a hurry and most importantly the details of the best shampoos that have been used by people with 4C hair.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
What are the best shampoos for dry 4C hair?
The best shampoo for dry 4C hair is one that is gentle on 4C hair and will intensely moisturize the hair, not stripping off its natural oils. The shampoo should have a good slip to facilitate easy and gentle detangling in order to minimize breakage. Such a shampoo should not contain harsh and drying ingredients.
Before we go into the details, let me quickly give you a summary of the best shampoos for type 4C hair, according to people with type 4C hair! Including myself.
Below is the list of the best shampoos for dry 4C hair. Click on the links to find out the current prices of each of these on Amazon.
- Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo to Moisturize Hair Coconut & Hibiscus Sulfate Free, Silicone Free
- TGIN Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo for Natural Hair – Dry Hair – Curly Hair
- Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Sulfate-free Shampoo
- Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Lather-rich Deep Moisturizing Shampoo, Revives Fragile, Dry Hair, Enriched with Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Artnaturals Argan Hair Regrowth Shampoo
- Cantu Shea Butter Natural Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo
- Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
- Urban Hydration Honey growth & repair shampoo
What to look out for when selecting a shampoo for 4C hair
- The shampoo should not take away, it should enhance. This means that the shampoo should not strip off the natural hair oils leaving the hair dry and brittle.
- A good 4C hair shampoo should moisturize. Moisture is the life in hair, literally.
- Go for a shampoo that will give your hair a protective shield to protecting the hair from physical damage.
- A good shampoo for 4C hair should be loaded with nourishing ingredients. Always ensure you check the ingredient listing, water should be among the top list of ingredients. Avoid products with harsh and drying ingredients.
- You need slip when washing your hair and therefore a shampoo that will give you slip and make detangling easier, should be a key consideration.
Best shampoos for 4C hair – A detailed Analysis
As I write this, I understand the struggles of 4C hair. It took me a while to finally narrow down to a few shampoos that are gentle on my hair. So, rest assured this is not a random girl with no idea of what 4C hair needs are.
1. Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo to Moisturize HairView Current Price On Amazon
I love products from the Shea Moisture brand! I have tried a few of their shampoos in various collections. Their story, just like many of the brands I will be highlighting in this article is nothing short of inspiring.
Since 1912, this brand has sustainably produced natural hair products. Whenever possible, they strive to make products without harsh ingredients in them.
I am currently using and testing their African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo, I will definitely share my thoughts on this once I have used it long enough but for today lets focus on the Curl & Shine line.
The Curl & Shine Shampoo is a favorite among naturals with 4C hair. If you do a quick search on Youtube, you will understand what am talking about.
So, why is this shampoo a darling for many? Here is why:
- It is a Sulfate-Free shampoo that is made to moisturize damaged or over-processed hair.
- It is very gentle on the hair, improves the overall health of your hair and restores shine
- This shampoo is perfect for those who are transitioning from chemically treated hair to natural.
- Its formulation combines hand-picked natural ingredients including certified organic Shea Moisture Shampoo. It also contains hibiscus flower extracts that is known to improve elasticity.
The cons of this shampoo
One thing that you may not like about this shampoo is the consistency. Some people find it too thin for a shampoo.
Instructions on use
Apply this Shea Moisture shampoo to wet hair, massage gently and work until it lathers. Rinse thoroughly. For best results condition your hair with conditioners that work best with this shampoo such as the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative/Moisture Retention Conditioner.
2. TGIN Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo for Natural Hair – Dry Hair – Curly HairView Current Price On Amazon
TGIN is another brand whose story you absolutely should read to understand what inspires them to produce natural hair products.
The founder of TGIN was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, through her treatment she learned that to beat this monster, financial empowerment could make a difference and hence started the TGIN foundation to empower women experiencing financial difficulties. What a beautiful story!
Now about the shampoo and why people with 4C hair find it a good selection.
If you want to experience amazing results, this is one of the best shampoos to use. This shampoo’s unique formula is enriched with Coconut oil to gently cleanse your hair, and Alma oil to reduces breakage and increases moisture retention.
The shampoo does not contain harsh ingredients that strip your hair of its natural oils, leading to dry hair and poor scalp health. It is free of the following harsh ingredients: parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, lanolin, artificial colors
Here is a summary about this shampoo
- Cleans hair, gently and effectively
- No harsh detergents in the formula that strip the hair of its natural oils
- Leaves hair feeling soft and smooth
- Filled with Pro Vitamin B5 that reduces breakage and increases moisture
- It does not contain any parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, lanolin or artificial colors.
Instructions on use
Wet hair thoroughly then applies a generous amount of this Shampoo to your palms. Evenly distribute it throughout hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly. If need be shampoo a second time to remove excess buildup.
3. Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Sulfate-free ShampooView Current Price On Amazon
This Almond Milk Sulfate Free Shampoo helps renew hair’s vitality without weighing it down. It is Sulfate-free, petrolatum-free, mineral oil-free. It was created for naturally curly hair.
Some of the ingredients that make this shampoo a power house include Almond Oil, Aloe Butter, Shea Butter, Coconut oil and Rice bran extract.
Almond milk is known to contain proteins that strengthen the hair and reduce breakage. Almond milk also contains iron which is great for reducing hair loss.
The smell and slip in this shampoo is something worth mentioning! Using this shampoo will give you a very easy time detangling your hair.
4. Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Lather-rich Deep Moisturizing ShampooView Current Price On Amazon
Aunt Jackie’s Oh so clean shampoo is a great shampoo for hydrating dry hair. It lathers so well and quickly. You will not need to use a lot of it, since a little goes a long way.
This shampoo is loaded with powerful ingredients such as Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It has a very inviting fragrance!
One of the most outstanding things about this shampoo is its slip that make detangling a very easy process. The shampoo is free of the following harsh ingredients: Sulfates, Parabens. The shampoo does not contain mineral oils or petroleum. This shampoo:
- Cleans without stripping natural moisture
- Provides silky slip
- Works well in detangling thick and curly hair
5. Artnaturals Argan Hair Regrowth ShampooView Current Price On Amazon
Over the decades Argan oil has been known for its ability to help restore hair growth. Argan oil is particularly good for 4C hair because of its intense moisturizing properties. The oil forms a thick protective layer around the hair strands thus sealing in moisture.
Some of factors that make this shampoo highly recommended include:
- It intensely moisturizes the hair and helps repair, dry, brittle and damaged hair from blow drying, flat ironing and sun exposure.
- The shampoo is free of sulfates and parabens
- It is safe for all hair types and it is good for moisturizing, strengthening and protecting your hair.
- Has botanical extracts and essential oils which enhance the health of your hair
- The hydrating minerals and oils work to hydrate the hair and scalp, leaving hair feeling soft and refreshed.
6. Cantu Shea Butter Natural Hair Cleansing Cream ShampooView Current Price On Amazon
Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Sulfate-Free Cleansing Cream shampoo, deeply conditions the hair, making it soft and easy to style.
People with 4C hair who have used this collection claim that the shampoo leaves their hair feeling silky, smooth and smelling great! Most importantly, it does not dry out the hair.
7. Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing RinseView Current Price On Amazon
This shampoo has a unique blend of Asian ginger, castor seeds and essential oils. This cleansing rinse is great to use on 4C hair because it helps in moisture retention and make the hair manageable.
Ginger is great for stimulating the hair follicles and thus promoting hair growth. Ginger also contains lots of minerals and vitamins that are good for nourishing hair. Castor seed on the other hand contains ricinoleic acid that helps in preventing inflammation.
It does not dry out the hair hence no need to worry about using it frequently.
Unfortunately, this shampoo does not have a great slip and may not be the best if you want to detangle your hair as you wash it.
8. Urban Hydration Honey Growth & Repair Shampoo.View Current Price On Amazon
This shampoo moisturizes your hair while restoring the health of your hair. It contains honey, argan oil, and sweet vanilla bean extract which work to repair damage and prevent breakage while taming frizz. Honey is great for hair because of its rich antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties.
This shampoo is also great promoting and retaining moisture in hair. It works well in repairing damaged hair.
One last thing on shampoos:
This list of products is not exhaustive and may not be everyone’s best. What it does however is give you a narrower list of shampoos that have been used by people with type 4 hair and therefore it makes it a lot easier for you to sample and find the perfect one for your hair.
If you think there are brands we have missed out and you swear by them, feel free to let us know in the comments.
And before you leave, you may find this recommended products page useful. Here you will find other natural hair products that my friends & I found to be very good for type 4C hair.