An essential step in following the Curly Girl Method (CGM) is using Curly Girl Method Approved Products.
These products do not contain harsh ingredients that could potentially strip moisture from the hair.
Some Curly Girl Method ingredients to avoid include:
- Dehydrating alcohols.
To make selection easier, in this article we have rounded up 12 hair products that are curly Girl Method Approved.
Disclosure: Please note that this blog is supported by readers like you. This means if you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Curly Girl Method Approved Products
Here are my top picks for Curly Girl Method approved products:
- MIZANI 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner
- PATTERN Beauty Leave in Conditioner for Curlies, Coilies & Tight Textures
- TXTR by Cantu Leave-in + Rinse out Hydrating Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Rinse Out Conditioner
- tgin Honey Miracle Hair Mask
- SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Hair Mask
- Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Fortifying Conditioner
- Mielle Organics Babassu & Mint Deep Conditioner
- True Curl Firm Hold Defining Hair Gel
- Briogeo Curl Charisma
- Truthsome Anti-Frizz Shampoo
- Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
1. MIZANI 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In ConditionerView Price On Amazon
The MIZANI leave-in conditioner comes in a spray form. It protects hair by reducing damage from heat and keeping it moisturized.
Key ingredients in the miracle milk include coconut oil which moisturizes hair and fennel seed oil which reduces breakage.
This conditioner has great softening and detangling effect.
2. PATTERN Beauty Leave in Conditioner for Curlies, Coilies & Tight TexturesView Price On Amazon
This leave-in conditioner caters to four different curl patterns: curly, curly coily, coily and tight patterns.
Key ingredients include:
- Rosemary leaf extract
- Jojoba seed oil
- Shea butter
- Safflower seed oil.
Pattern`s main aim is to add extra hydration to your hair leaving your curls well moisturized.
This product is good for hydrating, softening and curl definition. It also has a great refreshing scent.
3. TXTR By Cantu Leave-in + Rinse out Hydrating ConditionerView Price On Amazon
TXTR by Cantu is a hydrating sulfate-free conditioner that can either be used as a rinse-out or a leave-in.
This conditioner contains canola oil known for reducing split ends, spearmint oil which nurses a dry scalp, and Shea butter which provides hydration to hair.
The TXTR conditioner is praised for being incredibly hydrating and for defining curls, detangling, and reducing breakage.
Interestingly, it causes little to no product build-up.
4. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Rinse Out ConditionerView Price On Amazon
This Shea Moisture conditioner works great for both fine and curly hair with minimal buildup. It’s ingredients include:
- 100% Pure Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Shea Butter
This conditioner is silicone, sulfate, and parabens-free making it a CGM approved product.
5. tgin Honey Miracle Hair MaskView Price On Amazon
This mask works great for a wide range of hair types. It’s main ingredients include:
- raw honey
- jojoba oil
- olive oil components
It’s great for adding extra hydration to hair, especially for dry hair, bringing back moisture to the hair.
The product aims to provide softness and shine to hair and nourishment for damaged hair.
6. Shea Moisture Intensive Hydration Hair MaskView Price On Amazon
This SheaMoisture intensive hydration hair masque is made up of:
- Manuka Honey
- Mafura Oil
- Fair Trade Shea Butter
- Fig Extract components.
These smoothen, strengthen, deep condition, and moisturize hair.
This hair mask is sulfate, parabens, and petrolatum free.
It has great moisturizing properties, especially in the colder months. Additionally, its good for increasing shine, makes hair smooth, reduces frizz, and define curls.
7. Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Fortifying ConditionerView Price On Amazon
Carol`s daughter fortifying conditioner is made for curly, coily, and wavy hair specifically for natural type 2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, 3C, 4A, 4B, and 4C hair.
Components of the deep conditioner include:
- castor oil
- black cumin seed
This product aims to provide intense moisture, strengthen hair, detangle and reduce breakage.
Carol’s daughter`s conditioner is praised for being deeply moisturizing providing hydration for days after use. It also softens hair, provides shine and bounce, and defines the hair`s natural curls.
8. Mielle Organics Babassu & Mint Deep ConditionerView Price On Amazon
The Mielle Deep conditioner works great for all hair types but specifically for hair types 3A to 4C. The conditioner is made up of Babassu oil, mint, and sculpting gel.
It was purposely made to smoothen ends reducing breakage, promoting elasticity, providing shine, and deep hydration.
9. True Curl Firm Hold Defining Hair GelView Price On Amazon
This True Curl hair gel works for all curl types and provides long-lasting style to your hair`s curls.
The hair gel is silicone, sulfates, parabens, and cruelty free.
It’s praised for being good in softening hair and defining curls without weighing them down. It doesn’t flake or crunch and leaves hair feeling moisturized.
10. Briogeo Curl CharismaView Price On Amazon
Briogeo Curl Charisma contains:
- Tomato fruit
- Rice amino acids
It’s for smoothing hair providing natural frizz control. It also provides a natural-looking definition for curls with a light to medium hold. It is also silicon and sulfate free.
Briogeo curl charisma is moisturizing and provides curl definition and shine without weighing down curls.
11.Truthsome Anti-Frizz ShampooView Price On Amazon
Truthsome shampoo’s main ingredients are:
- Shea butter
The product is silicone, sulfates, and parabens free and aims to deeply moisturize and nourish hair, make hair smooth, reduce frizz, and improve the appearance of hair.
Truthsome’s anti-frizz shampoo is described as making hair soft and smooth, reducing frizz, providing shine and hydration.
It also smells great!
12. Shea Moisture Curl & Shine ShampooView Price On Amazon
This Shea Moisture shampoo contains:
- Coconut oil
- Neem oil
- Silky protein
It provides smoothness, shine, and protection that reduces breakage and splitting.
It’s a great cleanser, lathers more than other sulfate-free shampoos, smells great, is reasonably priced, and is hydrating.
BTW, did you know hair porosity plays a key role in hair growth? Take this simple hair porosity test to determine if your hair is HIGH, LOW or NORMAL porosity.