Have you been looking for a way to revive your dry and damaged hair? Try a DIY hair mask for dry hair.
Such a hair mask should contain nourishing ingredients which hydrate and bring back the luscious look that your tresses truly deserve.
There are lots of DIY hair masks that will help you pamper your hair while solving serious hair concerns at the comfort of your home.
In this article we will share our top 5 DIY hair masks for dry hair, all containing natural ingredients.
1. Aloe Vera and Avocado Hair Mask
- Aloe Vera Juice
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tsp Castor Oil
- Blend the Avocado and slowly add the Aloe Vera juice until you get a nice thick paste
- Ensure this is finely blended to avoid residue in the hair
- Using the double heating method, warm the castor oil and add it to the Avocado and Aloe Vera paste
- Apply to your hair from the top to the scalp
- Cover your head with a plastic cap and leave the hair mask for 30-45 minutes
- Rinse off the mask thoroughly with cold water
Aloe Vera juice is known for its intense moisturizing properties making it a good addition to masks meant for dry hair.
It’s packed with minerals such as calcium and magnesium and vitamins A, C, E, and B12. All great for nourishing the hair. 
Avocado contains vitamins A, B2, D, and E and minerals like potassium, magnesium, copper, and iron that nourish the hair and scalp and promote hair growth.
Vitamin B complex helps keep the hair strong.
Avocado is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and essential amino acids. These help in sealing and coating the hair cuticles making your hair smoother and stronger through the retention of hair moisture.
Castor oil is great for hair masks popular because of its potent moisturizing abilities. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that protect against dandruff and scalp infections.
2. Banana and Honey Hair Mask
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 3 drops Olive oil
- Mash the banana and mix it with honey, yogurt and olive oil until they are blended.
- Apply the mix to damp hair
- Tie your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on the hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with your normal shampoo and conditioner.
This hair mask is a powerful moisturizing hair mask as the combination of the various ingredients helps in revitalizing your dry hair.
Bananas are rich in vitamins, potassium, and carbohydrates which help in locking in the hair moisture and eliminating frizz.
The high silica content in bananas helps in building collagen, the protein that is responsible for glossy, bouncy, and healthy hair.
The potassium in bananas is great for strengthening hair. It helps in nourishing the scalp and hair follicles, maintaining hair elasticity, and preventing breakage and split ends.
Research shows bananas also have antioxidant and antibacterial properties therefore using a mask with bananas can help keep away dandruff symptoms from your hair. 
Yogurt contains high levels of lactic acid which is excellent in combating dullness and repairing damaged hair.
Honey on the other hand is a natural humectant. This is a great benefit for dry hair as it helps in the retention of moisture.
Honey is also great in promoting growth of the epithelial skin cells on the scalp. These cells make up the follicles and ducts that are important for hair growth. 
Olive oil is loaded with fatty acids that coat the hair shaft and help in repairing damaged layers and protecting the hair from further damage.
It is a natural conditioner that is used in the treatment of dry hair. It helps in locking in the moisture leaving your tresses looking smooth and flawless.
3. Banana and Egg hair mask
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 2-3 drops coconut oil
- Mash or blend one ripe banana and put it in a bowl
- Add an egg and add a few drops of coconut oil
- Whisk well until all lumps are gone
- Apply the mixture generously from the roots to the tips
- Cover with a shower cap and leave it on for 20-30minutes
- Rinse out with your regular shampoo and conditioner
The combination of banana, egg, and coconut oil helps in promoting healthy hair growth and providing your hair with long-lasting shine.
Eggs are one of the renown sources of protein. The high protein content in eggs helps in sealing the hair moisture.
According to a study, peptides present in egg yolk help to improve hair growth. 
Egg yolk is rich in fats, proteins, and other nutrients that make it a natural conditioner. It provides intense hydration to dry strands and strengthen your hair.
Coconut oil is known to have healing properties on hair.
It contains vitamins, essential fatty acids, saturated fats, lauric acid, and antioxidants good for your hair. The nutrients keep hair well-nourished and healthy.
The vitamin K in coconut oil helps in reducing dandruff. Its fatty acids penetrate the hair shaft easily to replenish and add to the volume of your hair.
4. Avocado, Mayo, and Olive Oil
- 1 ripe Avocado
- Olive oil
- Peel the avocado and puree in a blender or mash well in a bowl until no chunks remain.
- Mix the mayonnaise and olive oil with the avocado.
- Apply on your sectioned hair from the root to the tip and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo and condition as normal.
If you are looking for a quick and easy hair mask to brighten up your dull hair, this is it.
Mayonnaise contains oils that help nourish and moisturize your hair from deep within. It is considered very useful for dry and damaged hair.
The vinegar in mayonnaise helps to reduce dandruff.
It also helps to restore the healthy pH balance to dry and damaged hair. The oils also create a coating on hair strands to protect them from the harsh effects of the sun.
This together with avocado which is packed with beneficial nutrients for hair and olive oil which is a natural emollient is a sure way of getting your tresses the refreshing look that they deserve.
6. Egg and Lemon Hair Mask
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Lemon
- Separate the egg white and yolk and use the white for your mask
- Squeeze half a lemon into the egg white
- Mix them until you get a smooth consistency
- Apply to damp hair from roots to the tips
- Tie the hair up in a bun and cover the hair with a shower cap
- Leave the mask on for 30-45 minutes and rinse with shampoo and conditioner
Lemon contains citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, pectin and flavonoids.
The vitamins present in lemons help in boosting the rate of hair growth by boosting the production of collagen.
Due to the acidic nature of lemons, when used on hair they help in absorption of excess oil and grease in the scalp making this hair mask great for ladies with an oily scalp.
Not only is this an effective hair mask for dry hair, but it also acts as a cleanser and adds shine to dry and lifeless hair.
Stress, excessive heat styling, chemical treatments, and pollution make your hair prone to damage.
When you have dry hair, it is just a matter of time before frizz sets in, and you end up with brittle damaged hair.
To prevent this, a natural DIY hair mask should be your go to. These hair masks contain natural ingredients that combine to give your tresses a stronger, healthier look.