Essentially, Coi Leray braids are chunky knotless box braids but with the ends curled.
This hairstyle is coined after the artist Coi Leray and was one of the trendiest hairstyle in 2021. You might know these braids as jumbo knotless braids.
Soon after Coi’s premiere of the hairstyle in her music video, the style quickly became a common inspiration to many.
How To Do Coi Leray Braids
You will need the following:
- 3 – 6 packs of expression braiding hair
- Gel (for a neat and firm hold)
- Rubber Bands (for tying the ends)
- Comb (for parting)
- Rollers or flexi rods (for curling the ends)
- Hot water
- Hair mousse
- Leave in conditioner
Coi Leray Braids are commonly done with braid extensions. However with long hair, you can also achieve the same hairstyle.
(PS, but without using hot water)
For this article, we will focus on achieving the hairstyle with braid extensions.
So, without much ado, here is a step by step guide on how to do Coi Leray Braids:
Step 1: Clean The Hair
As with any hairstyle always start with cleaning the hair.
This will ensure that you get rid of any product build-up and dirt accumulated over time.
Starting off with clean hair will ensure that the Coi Leray braid last long before you start developing an itchy scalp.
Step 2: Moisturize
This cannot be said enough. Ensure your hair is well moisturized before installing the Coi Leray braids.
There are several moisturizing techniques you can use depending on your hair type.
A common technique is the LOC Method (Liquid Oil Cream) whereby you will start with adding a Liquid or Leave in to your hair. Then Apply a moisturizing oil and finish off with a cream.
Be mindful of the types of oils you apply and also remember a little goes a long way.
Step 3: Section the hair
Section off your hair in as many parts as you like. Coi Leray braids will usually have larger parts than the average box braids.
Step 4: Braid Each Section
- Use gel or curling hair products at the base of your braids to get a firm hold and smooth finish.
- Part each section into three and begin to do three-strand braids. Keep feeding in the braid extensions until the braids are to your desired thickness.
- Keep braiding your hair to the desired length then use rubber bands to tie the end of the braided section. Make sure to leave some part of the hair unbraided.
Step 4: Curl The Ends
- To the unbraided section, wrap it around perm rods or curlers and insert in boiling water. This works to set the curls.
- After about 15 to 20 minutes, remove the sections from the water, unravel and dry your ends.
- You could opt to use styling gel or hair curling creme to lay your edges if desired.
Coi Leray Braids Tutorial – Easy to Follow Video
Here is another easy to follow Coi Leray Braids Tutorial by Keys Work.
How Many Packs Of Hair For Coi Leray Braids?
To achieve this hairstyle, stylists recommend about 3 to 6 packs of braiding hair.
Although this may go up to 16 packs depending on your desired thickness and your hair volume
How Long Do the Coi Leray Braids Last?
On average Coi Leray braids will usually last for about 4 to 6 weeks.
Of course, depending on how well you take care of your braids, the duration can be significantly shorter.
If you want your style to stay for longer consider the following:
- Be gentle when installing. This will ensure the braids are comfortable to wear for long
- Cover your hair when sleeping to keep off lint and to prevent frizz
- Moisturize regularly
- Avoid over-manipulating your braids
- Use high quality braid extensions
- Use the right products, suited for your hair type
How Much Are Coi Leray Braids?
This will usually range from approximately US $15 to US $30
However, the price of hair extensions will vary depending on the brand you choose to use.
Coi Leray Braids Inspired Hairstyles
Here are some cute Coi Leray braids to inspire your next look:
#1. Coi Leray Braids With Curly Ends
#2. Long Coi Leray Braids
PS: Full credit goes to all the beautiful women who have inspired us with these cute Coi Leray braids on their platforms. We appreciate you!
Please show them love by following or subscribing as appropriate.
BTW, did you know hair porosity plays a key role in hair growth? Take this simple hair porosity test to determine if your hair is HIGH, LOW or NORMAL porosity.