Ever wondered what to do with all those roses you are gifted on special occasions like Valentines?
The good news is that you don’t have to throw away the petals when the occasion is over!
Using a very simple DIY recipe that I will show you later in the article, you can easily turn those colorful petals into an amazing natural hair product.
In this article I will take you through: (i) benefits of using Rose Water on your natural hair, (ii) nutritional composition of Rose Water, the reasons that make rose water a great product (iii) and finally I will show you very simple recipes for preparing Rose Water and how to use the water in your natural hair care routine.
What is Rose Water?
Rose water is the solution produced from Rose petals by steam distilling or Rose oil by mixing. This water contains the active nutritional component of Roses, making a great product to use on natural hair.
Roses are the most popular flowers in the world, often referred to as the ‘flowers of love’. Roses are perennial and produce a variety of beautiful scented flowers.
Roses originated from the Middle East specifically in ancient Persia, modern Iran. Today roses are cultivated in most parts of the world.
A Persian scientist by the name Avicenna who lived in the 10th century discovered and began the refinement of rose water. Rose water has since then been used for cosmetic and medicinal purposes.
Is Rose Water good for natural hair?
Rose water is a natural, nutrient-rich and gentle solution that has several benefits on natural hair. The PH of Rose Water is almost similar to that of hair and thus believed to be good at stabilizing the hair’s PH. Rose water is also loaded with vitamins that nourish the hair follicle hence promoting hair growth. Rose water can also be used to prevent and heal scalp infection because of its antiseptic properties.
How is Rose Water Produced?
The production of rose water varies depending on (i) purpose of production i.e. for domestic or commercial use and (ii) the availability of raw materials.
Below are the popular methods for producing/preparing rose water.
Steam distillation: this involves boiling of rose petals at high temperature so that steam containing the plant’s essential oils forms and evaporates. The steam is then condensed into high quality rose water with bountiful benefits on hair. The most fragrant roses are used for this purpose. They include: wild rose/dog rose, damask rose and cabbage rose.
Simmering Method: This is an easy and popular way of producing DIY rose water at home. This method involves adding fresh and clean rose petals into a pot and covering the petal with enough water. Under low-medium heat the water is brought to a simmer and then left to cool off.
Mixing of rose oil with distilled water: Producing rose water using this procedure is simple and less demanding. Rose water produced in this case is of lesser quality than that produced in steam distillation.
Nutritional Composition of Rose Water
- Vitamins C: Rose petals contain some amount of Vitamin C. (1) Vitamin C aids in the absorption of Iron, research has linked deficiency of Iron to hair loss. Vitamin C also helps in collagen production which is essential in hair strengthening and growth.
- Vitamin E: Roses contains Vitamin E which is an antioxidant. Therefore, it protects your hair from oxidative damage by free radicals.
- Flavonoids: A study carried out using Brazilian Roses shows that roses contain flavonoids and antioxidants. (2) Flavonoids have a potential in promoting hair growth. Anti-oxidants play an indirect role of eliminating free radicals present on hair and scalp that may cause hair loss.
- Tannins: Studies have shown that Roses contain Tannins. Tannins have an inhibitory effect on the growth of microorganisms (yeast, bacteria and fungi). This function is vital in the maintenance of a healthy scalp thus resulting in healthy hair growth rate.
- Carotenoids: Rose petals, especially yellow and orange, contain carotenoids. Beta carotene has pro vitamin A activity. Once beta carotene is converted into vitamin A cells, including hair cells, are able to grow.
Benefits of Rose Water on Natural Hair
1. Enhances hair growth
Rose water is packed with Vitamins and other essential nutrients that nourish the follicle thus promoting hair growth.
2. Regulates sebum secretion.
Sebum is a natural waxy oil that is produced by the sebaceous glands beneath the skin. Sebum’s main function is to moisturize the skin and hair and protect them against infections. Even though sebum is natural and offers great benefits to your hair and scalp excessive production, a condition experienced by some people.
This condition causes accumulation of build-up leading to clogged pores. Once the pores on the scalp get clogged, the growth of your hair follicles is inhibited. Rose water comes in as a hero in this situation by effectively reducing the amount of sebum produced.
3. Prevents inflammation
Rose water contains phenolic compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties.
Inflammation of the hair follicles, Folliculitis, is caused by staph fungi or bacteria and usually occurs on skin including the scalp when hair grows. This condition leads to the development of tiny itchy bumps that would result in temporary hair loss. Hair loss occurs due to aggressive scratching or due to weakening of hair follicles which is caused by poor conditions of the scalp.
Incorporating Rose water in your hair care regimen helps in healing Folliculitis or inhibiting its development. It clears inflammation due to eczema and psoriasis as well. This leaves you with a healthy scalp hence hair growth.
4. Repairs damaged hair
Damage on hair mainly results from excessive exposure to heat, excessive usage of chemical hair products or built-up dirt. Damaged hair is associated with a marked increase in hair loss. Massaging your scalp using rose water helps in increasing blood circulation within it making your hair follicles able to receive adequate nutrient supply hence new hair strands are regenerated.
5. Acts as a hair moisturizer
Rose water application on hair and scalp keeps your hair strands moisturized and easy to manage. Dryness of hair and scalp would always in one way or the other lead to hair loss. Hair loss may occur directly through hair breakage or indirectly through scratching as a result of an irritated scalp.
6. It acts as an antiseptic
Rose water has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help in prevention and healing of infections. Once applied on the scalp it clears infections that may be due to product build-up, dirt or dryness. A study conducted on roses proves that it has antibacterial properties.
7. Balances the hair’s pH
Rose water has a pH range of 4- 4.5. Rose water application on hair helps in maintaining it at a normal acidic pH range of 4-5.5.
8. Has a relaxation effect
The smell of Rose water calms and relieves your whole body of stress. This prevents instances of stress related hair loss.
Stress is factor well known to cause hair growth disorders and hair loss. Cortisol- a stress hormone-is known to affect the function and the cycling regulation of the hair follicles. During instances of high levels of cortisol, the Adrenal glands produces insufficient hormones for hair growth.
9. Eliminates dandruff
Dandruff develops on the scalp as a result of dryness or presence of fungi on the scalp. Rose water has antibacterial and antifungal properties which may inhibits development of dandruffs that may be as a result of growth of the Fungi. When dandruff is eliminated from the scalp any chances of hair loss as a result of itchiness is eliminated resulting in healthy hair growth.
Exposure of hair to ultra violet rays causes changes at cellular levels. These changes lead to generation and release of free radicals on scalp and hair cells. Free radicals cause death of living cells hence your hair experiences pre mature greying and hair loss. Your skin including the scalp experiences an aging effect making them wrinkle. Rose water has anti-oxidant properties .Once applied on hair and scalp it absorbs the free radicals present on them, protecting their cells.
How to Use Rose Water on Natural Hair
There are different ways to use rose water for your hair and scalp so that they would receive its bountiful benefits.
- Rose water is mixed with hair products. Dilute your shampoo or conditioner before using them for your hair and scalp. Read more on the benefits of adding rose water in your shampoo.
- Rose water is mixed with oils for increased moisture. Mix rose water with any your favorite oil then gently massage the mixture on hair and scalp.
- Use of a spritz bottle to spray Rose water mist on hair. This form of application deeply moisturizes your hair strands leaving them soft and shiny.
- Use of a cotton swab to directly apply Rose water on scalp. This form of application relieves your hair stands of external stress that would cause damage on your hair.
DIY Rose Water recipes for promoting hair growth
There are several DIY recipes you can try at home to create a powerful nutrient-rich natural hair product. Let me start by sharing a simple recipe for preparing rose water at home.
DIY Rose Water Recipe for Hair
- 1-2 cups of rose petals
- Enough water to lightly cover the petals
- Rinse the rose petals using cold water.
- Put the petals in a pot and pour in the water until it lightly covers the roses
- Simmer under low-medium heat until the rose petals are discolored
- Allow the solution to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and use on your hair, preserve the unused rose water in the refrigerator
DIY Rose Water and Fenugreek seeds for natural hair growth
- 1 cup of Fenugreek seeds
- Rose water
- Soak the Fenugreek seeds in rose water for about 5 hours.
- Grind the soaked seeds into a paste.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp and allow it sit on for at least 20 minutes.
- Proceed to washing using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- This mask is very effective in eliminating dandruff from your scalp maintaining its health for hair growth.
DIY Rose water and coconut oil Recipe for natural hair growth
- 1 cup of rose water
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil
- Pour the rose water into a bowl.
- Add coconut oil then gently mix using a spoon.
- Pour the mixture in a spritz bottle.
- The mixture moisturizes the hair, increases blood circulation on your scalp and boost hair growth
There you go, a few recipes that you can try at home. I hope you found the information on this article useful. If you did let us know in the comments.
And before you leave, you may find this recommended products page useful. Here you will find the natural hair products that my friends & I have found to be very good for natural hair.